Continuing the story from last time, I had the opportunity to do the alterations on my friend's sister's wedding dress.
Diving right in, wedding dresses are often many layers. This one was no exception.
Though I seem to remember there being more, the layer count eventually came to five:
- Lining with attached petticoat and Rigilene boning
- Satin Layer with Rigilene boning
- Tulle Layer (for stabilizing lace)
- Lace Layer
As I dug through the layers I also made note of where the original french tacks between layers were so they could be added back in as I put it all back together.
So much needed taking in around the bust that I felt it was imperative to do some reshaping of the front pieces in order to create a better shape, not just take in the sides to make up the difference.
I marked the pieces at the vital points (bust point, underbust) to make sure that things lined up properly with each other and with the bride's body.
It was also important to maintain the sweetheart neckline as close to the original shape as possible.
Well, lots of wrestling and many hours of fun later (yeah, it may have been a lot of work but it was actually a lot of fun, too) I steamed it all out and brought it back to the bride for a fitting.
I was super nervous. Please fit, please fit, please fit! I trusted my measurements but I can't help it, I guess I still don't have as much confidence in my abilities as other people seem to.
In the end it zipped right up and fit like a glove. I'm not sure who was happier, me or the bride. ^_^
|This is the face that made it all worth it for me ^_^|
And with the addition of her champagne-colored sash, she looked stunning.
|The bride-to-be and her mother|
Ah, but that's not the end of the story...
To be continued...