While I haven't been blogging as much lately, I have certainly been sewing. One of the projects that I've been working on recently was a new shirt for my husband.
I had been wanting to make him a new shirt for a while and was never happy with the shirt I made for him last year. This one will be based off of his current favorite shirt.
It's a comfortable shirt that looks pretty good on him. The fabric, however, is a mix of polyester and rayon. While this makes for a nice drape, it certainly doesn't breathe the way a nice cotton shirt does.
Also, the poor thing is threadbare.
Hopefully by offering up a replacement, this one can be retired.
You may recall my first attempt at menswear last year. I had pulled a pattern from a shirt for him only to find out afterward that the shirt from which I pulled the pattern was the wrong one and ill-fitting.
It looks fine with the tails out (though not great) but tucked it you can see that the chest is too big and the waist is too small. Mind you, he still wears it fairly often, but I needed to know that his clothes fit better than this, especially the ones I make.
I found this nice deep gray-purple cotton fabric for the new shirt.
I didn't take any pics while I was pulling the pattern, but I've shown you a lot of junk-mail-turned-pattern-paper lately, so I think you'll survive without more. lol
I like some of the details of the shirt I'm using for this one. It has the tiny buttons that hold the collar down. I like the placement of the pleats under the back yoke. I also like the simplicity of the front button placket.
But at the same time, I'm almost never in favor of pockets on the front of dress shirts. I think they are rarely needed and often used to make up for the use of flimsy or thin fabric, so I'll be eliminating that part on the new shirt. I'm making this one and one more in short sleeves, but I've also bought fabric to make a long sleeved shirt for him later this winter.
Hope your week is going well.